In this Lesson we will cover the topics:
What is Android?
What is OHA?
What is Open Source?
What is android
- Android is a Linux-based operating system for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers.
- Android is an open source software platform for mobile,embedded and wearable devices.
- The First Android Phone is HTC G1.
- Android specially developed for applications.
- Android allows writing managed code in the Java language
- Android includes a Java API for developing applications.
- There are more than 2.6 million apps in Android market.
- Android is not a device or product.
- Android has its own virtual machine i.e. DVM (Dalvik Virtual Machine), which is used for executing the android applications.
- Android gives a rich application system that permits you to construct inventive applications and games for mobile devices in a Java language environment.
What is OHA
- Android is developed by the Open Handset Alliance(OHA) led by Google.
- The open handset alliance(OHA) is a business alliance of 84 firm to develop open standard for mobile devices.
- OHA develop technologies that will significantly lower the cost of developing and distributing mobile devices and services.
- OHA devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices.
- Each Android Device Manufacturer of OHA partners can customize Android to suit their needs.
Following are some Open Handset Alliance Firms.
What is open source?
Android is an open source. What does this mean to you as a developer? You have access to the source code of the platform that is running on the phone. This can help you better understand how interface controls and the various other piece’s work.
In the Next Lesson We will discuss The History of Android.